February 1, 2023
Trending Tags

California massacres heighten immigrants’ fears of gun violence

HALF MOON BAY/MONTEREY PARK, California — America was alleged to be a spot of security for Jose Romero when he arrived some two years in the past to work on a California farm alongside different immigrants from Mexico and China.

Mr. Romero was killed on Monday, shot lifeless by a gunman together with six different farm staff in Half Moon Bay, simply south of San Francisco. Even in a nation all too aware of gun violence, the capturing was beautiful, coming simply two days after one other gunman opened fireplace at a ballroom in Monterey Park, an Asian American enclave exterior Los Angeles.

In all, 18 individuals died within the back-to-back shootings, rattling two close-knit communities that had drawn immigrants looking for alternatives.

“You look to improve your life and then you end up with this,” mentioned Mr. Romero’s cousin, Jose Juarez, quiet and sullen on Tuesday as he took a break from cooking at a Mexican taqueria in a Half Moon Bay strip mall.

That police mentioned the assaults had been carried out by assailants identified inside the neighborhood — Huu Can Tran, 72, frequented the Monterey Park dance studio and Chunli Zhao, 66, labored on a Half Moon Bay farm — solely added to the sense of concern felt by immigrant teams which were the targets of racist rhetoric and assaults in the USA.

As many as 32% of Asian immigrants and 23% of Latino immigrants in California say they’re “very worried” about changing into victims of gun violence of their adopted house — thrice the extent of concern reported by individuals born in the USA, in accordance with knowledge gathered by the College of California, Los Angeles, and shared with Reuters.

The massacres heightened these considerations for some individuals.

Antonio Perez, who now lives in Half Moon Bay after transferring from Mexico in 1983, mentioned he feels caught between cartel violence in his homeland and gun violence in the USA.

“We never expected this kind of extreme here,” Mr. Perez mentioned, shaking his head. “What a tragedy.”

About 380 miles (610 km) south, in Monterey Park, residents expressed fears within the aftermath of the dance corridor capturing that the poison of America’s gun tradition and epidemic of mass shootings was infecting Asian-American communities.

“Americans can have guns, there are guns everywhere,” mentioned Frank Hio, 36, who’s initially from China. “It’s dangerous here.”

Within the thriving suburb identified for its Asian shops and eating places, some individuals expressed anguish that the gunman got here from inside the neighborhood.

“The shooters are Asian, and the victims are Asian,” mentioned Rolando Favis, 72, who moved to the USA from the Philippines 38 years in the past.

However many additionally mentioned that they had been extra fearful of their security for a number of years, following the rise in hate crimes towards Asians within the wake of the pandemic and rhetoric from then-President Donald Trump blaming China.

Within the aftermath of the pandemic, Asian American gun possession elevated. A 3rd of those that owned weapons mentioned they carried weapons extra steadily amid the anti-Asian incidents, and one other third mentioned they stored weapons loaded or unlocked of their properties, in accordance with a research by the College of Michigan.

On the Euro Arms, Inc. gun retailer in Alhambra, three miles (5 km) from the scene of the Monterey Park bloodbath, retailer assistant Wesley Chan mentioned gun gross sales had risen for the reason that begin of the pandemic, together with amongst Asian Individuals within the space.

“Everyone was scared and wanted to protect themselves,” he mentioned.

About 9.3% of Asian immigrants maintain weapons of their properties in California, in contrast with 5.6% of Latino immigrants and 12% of white immigrants, mentioned Ninez Ponce, the lead researcher on the UCLA research. Total, about 17.6% of Californians of all backgrounds maintain a gun at house.

Each Tran and Zhao used semi-automatic pistols. Police haven’t mentioned the place or once they had been acquired. — Reuters

Source link