From Union to Times Square: Thousands Demand Justice for Mike Brown

Last night, at around 9:15pm, Prosecutor Robert McCulloch announced that Officer Darren Wilson would not be charged for the August 9th death of Michael Brown. Mike Brown was 18, Black, unarmed, and college-bound at the time of his murder. Shot six times, Brown, no matter the circumstances, was gunned down by a police officer; an officer who is supposed to protect and serve the public. Mike Brown will see no justice. Mike Brown's death has gone unanswered. Racial tensions are sure to boil, as the grave mishandling of his murder is a deliberate tactic rooted in the very founding of this nation, and cultivated through centuries of a stacked criminal justice meant to ensure white supremacy and suppress Black rights. Mike Brown, may he rest in power, is the latest victim of white fear. Officer Wilson even detailed in his grand jury testimony that Brown was like a "demon;" yet another reminder of how white supremacy mongrelizes Black people, thereby justifying violence towards us. Altogether, the nature of his death, and the injustice that follows is redolent of history; of how the criminal justice system is not built for us, but actively works against us. It's time to take action. Last night, we arrived at Union Square, awaiting the then unknown grand jury decision. A flicker of hope was confined by overwhelming hesitancy and anticipation. A relatively small group of some 250 protestors sporadically chanted. A collection of people held signs which solemnly read "Black Lives Matter." As the grand jury decision approached, more people joined us. In time, we walked twice around Union Square, growing in number, emotion, and passion. And then we stood still. The grand jury decision was sure to come at any moment. With bated breath, we silently checked our phones searching for any updates we could find. Rumors began trickling in. USA Today reported that Darren Wilson would face no indictment. But we awaited word from Ferguson protestors. They were the only sources we trusted. And then a flurry of text messages came in. An automated text message from Ferguson organizers came in. It confirmed what many of us would hope wouldn't be true. The tension in the air thickened almost immediately. In respecting the parents of Mike Brown, we held a four-and-a-half minute moment of silence. And then, motivated out of the desire for justice and responsibility, we marched to Times Square. Onlookers and passersby seemed confused and concerned. But we didn't care. We wanted nothing more than to peacefully demonstrated our power as a unified unit.   This is only the beginning. There is a lot more to come. Injustice can no longer be tolerated and accepted. As we continue to grow our collective power with like-minded individuals and organizations committed to justice. For more information about direct actions taking place across the country, please click here.